About the College
Policies & Procedures
› Admission Policy
› Registration Procedure
› Attendance Policy
› Dispute Resolution/
Grade Appeal Policy
› Dismissal Policy
› Refund Policy
› Personal Information
Links & Resources
College of Animal
233 Seymour River Place
North Vancouver, BC, V7H 2N8
Effective Date of Policy: September 2009
Admission Representative and Senior Education Administrator: Julie Anne Lee
CAHM collects students' personal information for the following reasons:
CAHM retains a full student file for a period of seven (7) years following the student's withdrawal, dismissal or graduation. After seven years, the full student record is destroyed using a secure destruction method.
- to keep students/graduates informed of activities of the school; and
- to issue T2202As in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency.
CAHM uploads a copy of the student's contracts, transcripts and credential (if any) to an approved third-party vendor. These records are retained for a period of fifty-five (55) years by the third-party vendor.
Procedure for maintaining student files:
- A student's personal information is collected throughout the student's attendance at the institution. All required information regarding the student is placed in the student's file.
- Student files containing personal information are safely stored in locking file cabinets, and access to the student files is limited to the appropriate administrative staff and the Senior Education Administrator/School Owner.
- When a student leaves the school either by withdrawal, dismissal or graduation, a transcript is prepared showing the marks achieved in the courses completed. If the student has completed all courses within the program of study, a program credential is also prepared. These documents are signed by a representative of CAHM and copies of the signed documents are placed in the student file.
- Within 30 days of the student permanently leaving school, copies of the Student Enrolment Contracts, transcripts (if any) and credentials (if any) are sent to the third-party vendor for long term storage.
- After documents are sent for long term storage, the full student file is placed in "inactive" student storage for one year.
- At the end of one year, the student file is placed in "closed" storage for a further six years.
- At the end of the seven year period, the full student file will be destroyed using a secure destruction method.
Procedure for student access to the information on file:
- Students wishing to access the information in their student file must make the request to CAHM in writing.
- The Senior Education Administrator will provide copies of any document the student requests from their student file.
- The student will pay $0.25 per page for the documents copied for him/her.
Procedure for authorizing release of information:
- If a student wishes to authorize a third party to access information in his/her student file, he/she must do so in writing.
- The school will not release information to any person other than the people authorized by the student to access information, unless required to do so by legislation, a subpoena, court order or if release of information is necessary as part of an ongoing police investigation.